GZW 2 IMG 0060 800x600

You can register your car or motor bike at the motor vehicle registration offices (Kraftfahrzeugzulassungsbehörden) in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg or Lichtenberg. Bring your registration and certificate of ownership (Fahrzeugschein & Fahrzeugbrief), a proof of insurance, your old license plates and, should your car be older than 3 years, vehicel inspection and smog certificates (TÜV and AU-Bescheinugungen). You also need to bring your ID card and the registration form (Zulassungsantrag). You can download this application form here.

The fee for registering a car without a change of ownership is € 26.80, with a change of ownership it’s € 38.10. In addition, you have to pay for your new license plates. Two years ago the so-called “Erstversteuerungsverfahren” was introduced in Berlin. That means you cannot register a vehicle without paying the taxes for the first year in advance.
Newcomers may reserve their desired license plate before registering. Car license plates consist of one letter and a four-digit number, two letters and a four-digit number or two letters and a three-digit  number. Motorbike license plates bear one letter and a three-digit number or two letters and a two-digit numbers. Shorter combinations are available upon request, but may not be reserved in advance. Abbreviations used by the Nazis during the Third Reich are illegal in Berlin, for example HJ (Hitler Youth,) KZ (Concentration Camp,) NS (National Socialism,) SA (Department) and SS (Security Squad.) You have to pay a fee of € 12.80 to reserve your desired license plate.

To register a car imported from a foreign country you must go to the motor vehicle registration office (Kfz-Zulassungsstelle) at Jüterboger Str. 3. If you bring your certificate of ownership (Fahrzeugbrief) and all papers mentioned above there shouldn’t be any problems. Things only get complicated in case you do not have a certificate of ownership. In that case, you must write a letter to the Federal Vehicle Administration (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt) in Flensburg, stating the kind of vehicle, the brand, vehicle ID number (Fahrgestell-Nummer) and production year to apply for a document of compliance (Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung). The fee is € 10.20, plus C.O.D. charge. You must also present all papers from the country of origin and, in case the car is imported from outside the EU, a document of compliance from the custom’s office (Zollunbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung) and a certificate of conformity (Vollgutachten) by a technical licensed test center. To register a car imported from a foreign country in Berlin without providing the certificate of ownership costs € 67.50, with the certificate of ownership 40.90 Euros. Sometimes foreign cars are not in accordance with German laws. In that case, you need a special permit (Sondergenehmigung), e.g. for special headlights, brakes, towing hooks or rear fog lights.

Vehicle administration offices

Location Berlin-Lichtenberg
Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten, Referat Kraftfahrzeugzulassung, Ferdinand-Schultze-Str. 55, Tel. 9 02 69-33 00

Location Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg
Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten, Referat Kraftfahrzeugzulassung, Jüterboger Str. 3, Tel. 9 02 69-33 00

24932 Flensburg, Förder Str. 16, Tel. 04 61/31 60, www.kba.de